The Voice

This quality is, of course, extremely varied, for beauty is in the ear of the listener. I don’t always like a pretty voice best, but I really need to hear an emotional quality and a timbre that is pleasing to me. My favorites? Avril Lavigne, Beyonce, Demi Lavato (great texture!), Fergie, Colbie Collait, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, Plain White Ts, Sean Kingston (lucious), Taylor Swift, Five for Fighting, Cold Play, Gavin Rossdale, Shontelle and Lindsey Lohan. If it seems like a long list, that is because this particular quality is especially important for my listening pleasure. There are a few who have the opposite effect on me. Vanessa Hudgens is as cute and dear as can be, but her vocal quality is too tinny and harsh for me to enjoy. I am usually quite fond of the sound of Rap and Hip Hop, but what lingers from 90’s angst rock (Metro Station, All American Rejects) makes me tired and gives me a headache. So many voices are electronic now that it is hard to hear the true vocal tone of an artist. I simply take electronic vocals to be an instrument in itself and I find it doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of the song as long as I accept it as a performance art of its own

3 comments:

  1. Angst rock-- I think that's what I call Whinecore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metro Station and AAR are not rap and hip-hop. They are part of the punk/alt-rock genre. And honestly, you're not giving that genre enough credit. True, their vocals may not always be as good as those on Broadway shows, but they're still better than some of the artists listed above (Demi Lovato, for instance), their lyrics have a (sometimes unexpected) depth to them, and their sound is fun. I don't know how you define 'pop' music, but since you're including rap artists like Sean Kingston and country artists like Taylor Swift, I think you should maybe consider slipping some punk rock in there (Green Day, for instance, is amazing). Not even considering it simply because you don't like it makes your study completely illegitimate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate this advice. I don't know the categories very well...just songs that are on the radio. I also have to be careful to point out that the music I hear is not comprehensive... it is based upon a couple of Midwestern canned radio play lists.

    ReplyDelete