Parents

Complex relationships between child and adult, both sweet and sad.




Several of the songs are Country, with parenting not an unusual a theme in that genre. Ever since winning American Idol it seems that everything Carrie Underwood touches turns to gold, so it is no surprise that her All American Girl even gives un-patriotic-me chills. Taylor Swift has a song called Best Day that has not topped the chart and doesn’t even have a professional music video. However, it is on YouTube with real home movies of Taylor and her mom as Taylor is growing up.

I’m five years old, it’s getting cold

I’ve got my big coat on, I hear your laugh

And look up smiling at you, I run and run...

I hug your legs and fall asleep on the way home



Confessions of a Broken Heart by Lindsey Lohan is a passionate, tragic story of abuse and abandonment by a father, and Sean Kingston’s Dry Your Eyes describes the devastating loss of his mother and how it affected his life:

Only 15 put under pressure, first month 27th day they took away my mother

I was left to be raised by my brother, taught me how to be a hustler

Mommy gone gotta stick together...



Mommy, just dry your eyes, mommy don’t you cry

I know we’ve been through hard times and the struggles

And I just wanna tell you I love you



Finally, another Country group hit the Pop charts with What Hurts the Most by the Rascal Flatts. Even though they use country instrumentation, I didn’t realize that this song was by a Country band until I saw the video images and their cowboy hats. The song opens with a pregnant teenager’s painful confrontation with her parents as she blames them for the loss of her boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment