Love (Continued)

Some of the lyric and image combos that are inappropriate for teenage experience are powerful and moving for adults. Ne-Yo sings a plaintive song called So Sick (of Love Songs), describing details a lot of people dealing with loss can identify with,


Gotta change my answering machine, now that I’m alone

Cause right now it says that we can’t come to the phone

And I know it makes no sense cause you walked out the door

But it’s the only way I hear your voice anymore



Gotta fix that calendar I have, that’s marked July 15th

Because since there’s no more you, there’s no more anniversary

I’m so fed up with my thoughts of you and your memory

And how every song reminds me of what used to be



Several of these songs deal with complexity of love, beyond the usual first kiss scenario. In She Will be Loved Maroon 5 describes a woman who used to be a “beauty queen of only eighteen, she had some trouble with herself,” who in the video images we now see is abused by another man. Yet, the singer offers her a chance at a new relationship with realistic expectations: “It’s not always rainbows and butterflies, it’s compromise that moves us along. My heart is full and my door’s always open, you can come anytime you want.”

Gavin Rossdale’s passionate song Love Remains the Same is also complex in a way that is meaningful to those of us who have been around the block a few times.

I never thought that I had any more to give

Pushing me so far, here I am without you

Drink to all that we have lost, mistakes we have made

Everything will change, but love remains the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment