Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga is the single most exploitative and misogynist character that I found on the pop music scene. Her videos are so sickening that I thought surely they must be sarcastic, yet damage is done by the end of the song, despite any intentions. Several browses on the internet brought this Lady Gaga quote up, "I'm not a feminist. I, I, I hail men, I love men. I celebrate American male culture, beer, bars, and muscle cars." Progressive politics are not the basis of her outrageous performance art.


My main objection to Lady Gaga is that I think her videos glorify objectification and violence against women. I may be missing something deep and artsy, but when I see repetitive images of a woman being killed, maimed, raped, tortured and disabled, I object. Period. During the MTV music awards ceremony she performed Paparazzi and at the end of the song blood burst out of her torso, and she smeared it on her face and the rest of her body as she “died.”

No comments:

Post a Comment