Just Creepy

What more can I say?


I guess it is nothing new to find the creepy aspect of any genre of music. Here are some of the songs that make my skin crawl.

The bread-and-butter clean cut Jonas Brothers take the cake with Paranoid. Past a cry for help this song describes mental illness that I just don’t need to be inside. Rihanna’s Disturbia lives up to it’s name with the same theme, “it’s a thief in the night to come and grab you/it can creep up inside you and consume you/a disease of the mind it can control you.”

Uncontrolled obsession is a bit too close for comfort in Here We Go Again by Demi Lovato and Love Addict by Family Force 5, though both are great tunes with amazing energy. Wish We Were Older by the obnoxious Metro Station gives me the creeps with the arrogant line, “I know you’re dying to take off your clothes,” and the Ting Tings describe a relationship in Shut Up and Let me Go where he had her “in bits,” which I don’t much want to think about. Justin Timberlake lays on the revenge too thick with Cry Me a River, and Dirty Little Secret by All American Rejects is disdainful and disrespectful even though the website post secret (which I think the song is based on) can be really beautiful.

I do have to say that the lyrical themes of the early 21st century are radically lacking in obscure satanic references and deep poetic nonsense that rocked generation X in the 70s. The creepy aspect of pop today is pretty straightforward stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment